Sunday, November 24, 2013

Alicia Keys: Why Taking the High Road Paid Off

If you've ever felt alone dealing with your partner, step kids and a less than perfect ex let me assure you you're not! And to make you feel even better (or worse, let's be honest I don't know) the most accomplished celebs aren't even exempt from these situations.

Case and point: Alicia Keys.  She's topped the charts, met with foreign dignitaries and started an AIDS charity in Africa.  It's hard to believe she's privately dealing with her own blended blunder!  

To give you the back story... Keys' husband, Kasseem Dean (aka Swizz Beatz) separated from his wife Mashonda Tifrere in 2008.  That's when things got nasty!  The ex-wife wrote a public letter to Keys blasting her for having (an alleged) affair with Dean (a claim Keys strongly denies).  The letter "went viral" but Keys never made any public comment about it... until now.

“I was sure that if I engaged (her) it would become back-and-forth like some sick entertainment, which goes against everything I believe and would have made things worse,” says Keys.  She adds that her new family is in a good place with "the ex" even going as far as saying she's accepted as a "partner" in raising her stepson, Kasseem Jr.

"Things are really good now,” said Keys.  She also raises a good point that she is only part of the puzzle.  “Kasseem is very present in his children's lives (and) I wouldn't be able to love him otherwise.”

This leaves me wondering... what can I do to take the high road today?

No comments:

Post a Comment